Friday, June 30, 2006

My kitchen is more dangerous than my lab

There's been something off a lull in my posts this week because there's been something of a lull in my general activity. This, in turn, has been caused by a nasty accident on Monday. I was washing up a tall glass at home, pushing a spontex around the inside with my middle 3 fingers. Unfortunately the glass spontaneously broke and the resultant sharp edge sliced a chunk off the side of my right ring finger. Ouch.

It wasn't too big a cut (about 5mm x 15 mm x 1-2mm) but it wouldn't stop bleeding and in the end I had to get my housemate and his financee to take me up to the A&E department. I had it cleaned and dressed and it seems to be healing quite well.

Some photos are below - if you're very squeamish, I suggest you don't look. The second shows it after 2 days, with the bandage removed but the steristrips still in place. I have to take those off tomorrow, which I think will be a bit painful.

It just goes to show that it is much more dangerous at home than in the lab!


No comments: