Saturday, June 17, 2006

Windows Vista - LiveKernelReports

My housemate has temporarily installed Windows Vista on a virtual machine in order to see what it's like. On the whole, it's just like XP except things have been moved around a bit and given a glossy make-over with extra frills and animations.

Personally, I think GUI's are for wimps and I ran a command prompt and started nosing around the file system. The directory tree has been tidied up a lot, with only 4 at root level. The Windows directory is as voluminous as ever and several directories contained files with what appear to me to be new file name extensions.

The one really intriguing thing, though, was the directory "C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports". On trying to open this,

C:\Windows> cd LiveKernelReports
Access is denied.
C:\Windows>

Eh? I looked at the security properties under WinExplorer and found I had all the necessary permissions. Double clicking from with Explorer gave me 2 alerts, but clicking [continue] on both allowed me into the folder. It was empty. Having done this, the cmd prompt allowed me into the directory.

Why all this fuss? I really hate being told that this or that directory contains files that are important to my computer and that I really musn't fiddle. Hey - it's my (or in this case my housemate's lab's) computer!

No comments: