Saturday, May 27, 2006

HPLC - done!

I've finally got a set of HPLC traces that I think are good enough to show to my supervisor. There's clearly only one enantiomer of my enantioenriched product, so we'll go for >99%. I also noted that in preparing a new batch of the alcohol for this analysis that my best yield has improved from 67 to 84%!

The original date for the submission of my paper was to have been 5.iv - so it's taken nearly 2 months to sort this out but it's done now.

I spent most of the day at work. Firstly finishing the last-Friday-of-the-month clear-up that I started yesterday (including polishing my fume hood metalwork with Brasso), secondly writing up the HPLC stuff and the titanocene-mediated epoxide opening that I've worked on so far and thirdly looking at biochemistry topics to help my sister with her A2.

This evening has been spent looking at some more of the Bagley Wood mosses. I have looked at Campylopus introflexus for the first time and it is so beautiful. Bryophytes must be the most under-appreciated part of God's creation.

No comments: