Thursday, May 25, 2006

Arrrrrrgh: HPLC horror

I've decided that I really don't like HPLC. I never really considered it to be one of those exciting techniques that makes children say to their mothers at bedtime 'when I grow up, I want to be a chemist', but now it's really in my bad books.

I have spent most of the day running the HPLC of my asymmetric compound. I had 2 sets of conditions separating the racemate, one with a flow of 0.2 mL min-1 and the other with 0.1
The 0.1 is slighlty better but takes a lot longer. What I hadn't realised was how much longer my single enantiomer would take to elute compared to the racemate. I think I have a hand-wavy argument for why this is, but it doesn't include the words 'theoretical plates' so it's probably wrong.

The long and the short of it is that due to 3 mistakes in a row I still don't have the ee of my compound. I'm going to get up super early and try and get in and get it running before 8am. That way I might actually have the answer by lunchtime. From what I've seen today, it's looking good with only one peak in the asymmetric product implying >99% ee.

Tomorrow's the day - it just has to be.

No comments: