Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Music

It's been quite a good Christmas for getting new music: here are some thoughts on the CDs I've been given (or purchased - I strongly recommend visting Prelude Records if you are ever in Norwich!).

Words and Music is a 2007 release on the Chandos label with vocals and piano by Richard Rodney Bennett. There's a mixture of standards from the American songbook (I won't dance/ How long has this been going on?) and lesser known songs, as well as the title track, a Bennett composition.

Graduation features Richard Hills playing the Dickinson High School Kimball theatre organ with his usual style and flair. I particularly enjoyed his Songs from the British Isles and Viva Mexico - a Mexican fantasy. If you aren't familiar with Richard Hills or with theatre organ music, then watch this video of Hills playing Tiger Rag - I guarantee you'll like it!

I've also acquired a recording of the Bach tocattas (Angela Hewitt [Hyperion]) and Naxos recordings of Dvorak symphonies 3,4,6, and 8, which I'm getting to know for the first time and enjoying immensly. I've also bought a 2CD set of harpsicord suites by Jean-Henry D'Anglebert. I'd never heard of this composer (a friend of Lully) and have yet to listen to the CDs ... more to follow.

No comments: